- DARLINGSHAUGH, a village, in the late quoad sacra parish of Ladhope, parish of Melrose, county of Roxburgh, 4 miles (W.) from Melrose; containing 1116 inhabitants. This village is beautifully situated on the Gala water, and, though within the parish of Melrose, may be regarded as an appendage to Galashiels, in the manufactures of which a considerable number of the population is employed. A comfortable school-house has been built by the heritors.
A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. Samuel Lewis. 1856.
Look at other dictionaries:
Melrose — MELROSE, a market town and parish, and anciently a burgh of barony, in the district of Melrose, county of Roxburgh; including the villages of Buckholmside, Darlingshaugh, Darnick, Gattonside, Newstead, and Newtown; and containing 5331… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Ladhope — LADHOPE, lately a quoad sacra parish, in the parish and district of Melrose, county of Roxburgh; containing, with the villages of Buckholmside, Comely Bank, and Darlingshaugh, 2367 inhabitants. This district is situated in the western part of… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland